Thursday, June 30, 2011

First Impressions of America Upon Reentry

Toilet seat, toilet paper, soap and paper towels in public bathrooms! Everybody is chewing gum! Everybody is wearing workout clothes! Lots of friendly chatter between strangers in airport lines! Everybody complaining that the AC isn't cold enough!

I went out to eat with my family, and I dreaded having to pay a tip. Until the waitress came. Holy crap! She was too sweet! We were as picky as we wanted to be when ordering, we got refills before our drinks were less than half full, anything we asked for came within the minute. Tipping may not be so bad, after all! But they brought the check before we finished eating, and the bus boys were hovering the table before we were ready to go! Take a chill pill, America!

I want to speak Spanish still... which means that my cats, the only living beings in my house who won't get annoyed if I keep speaking Spanish, will probably be bilingual before the end of the summer.

I had the best view of Pittsburgh from the plane. I've never seen the city from an airplane before, so it was like a special treat to look over it, recognize everything, and just be happy to be back. And I was. And I am.

Today and tomorrow will be super busy. I'll be baking cookies with my gram for my cousin's wedding. I still have to find something to wear to the wedding, and I have to see EVERYBODY. But I'm excited for all of it!

It kind of feels like the last 9 months were a dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment