So here we are. 11:30pm on a Monday night. A silent bedroom in the beautiful city of Pittsburgh. And I'm overcome with worry about the details that await my arrival to Spain.
At this moment, from this location, there is very little that can be done regarding the situation-- but alas, I find myself worrying about what part of the city I'm going to live in, what my roommates are going to be like, and how I'm going to finagle my way through various means of public transportation while carrying my entire life packed into suitcases.
If you would have spoken to me three hours ago, you would have caught me in one of my moments of pure excitement. I would have been talking about where I'm going to travel, how I'm going to make friends, what I'm going to do after my 12 hours of work are finished for the week. The truth is, that excitement is still bubbling up from somewhere deep inside me, but having to figure out all of these details is making that excitement harder and harder to find.
So maybe I'm more quixotic than pragmatic. I'd rather dream about the possibilities of what's to come than work out the logistics of how it's going to pass. When it comes to the big picture, the excitement definitely wins out. When it comes to worrying about taxi fares and baggage allowances, rent costs and and bus passes, the anxiety takes the cake.
The moral of the story though?
There's no use losing sleep over these things in Pittsburgh. I've spent all day searching websites for pisos compartidos. I've read blogs and facebook groups, hoping to find some helpful hints. But when it comes down to it, I can't find a piso from Pittsburgh. And no amount of worrying is going to change the baggage allowances of the Renfe trains. And for goodness sake, just breathe, and know that these problems don't need to be solved tonight. (Thank God.)
But, if you are reading this, I would appreciate it if you would remember me in your prayers. Pray that I find good roommates, in a nice apartment. Pray that all of the traveling will go smoothly. And pray that I will learn to stop worrying about all of these things.
Step 1: Inhale
Step 2: Exhale
Step 3: Just go to bed already! You can always conquer the world in the morning.
1 comment:
Raquael, I was thinking about you the other day after we talked, and how what you are about to do is the WORST part of moving to a different place, and even worse in a different country. The part where you have to find somewhere to live with financial pressure, find a social network, get through immigration, that is the hardest thing you will have to do. So maybe let that encourage you. This is something you get through to enjoy the rest of the experience. :)
Post a Comment